Seniors, Avoid Being “Scammed” by Contractors
May is National Remodeling Month. Not just another Hallmark holiday, a time for awareness.
Hiring an honest reputable contractor in the Detroit Metro area is easier if you follow some simple steps:
- Ask friends and relatives. A personal reference from someone you trust is one of the best ways to weed out the bad apples.
- Ask for their insurance information and contact their insurance agency direct to verify.
- Contact the state licensing department for current license. (517) 373-1820 or WWW.CIS.STATE.MI.US in Michigan.
- Look for a company’s website. An active website should have pictures of their work and company information.
- Call and ask how long they’ve been in business, what is their expertise and their warranty. Listen carefully and see if they listen to you. Don’t expect an exact price over the phone.
- Meet with them in your home. Ask for references, (names & numbers) and how you can see their work.
- Ask about their business affiliations and accreditation’s like builders associations, chambers of commerce, and continuing education.
- Don’t get stuck on the 3 estimate rule. If you’re comfortable, go with your gut. Limit the amount you talk to. Too many can get confusing.
- Don’t trust an unusually cheap price. Expect to pay professional pricing for a professional.
The more you investigate a Detroit Metro area contractor the better off you will be. A license, insurance, website, references, affiliations, experience and education are all important because of the time, money, and resources they take to attain. And they are the kind of investments a genuine, trustworthy professional is likely to make. Remember, you are not just buying a product, you’re buying a service.